We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
To create a cozy atmosphere in the house, design a terrace and vertical gardening, many flower growers use petunia.
On balconies and terraces, you can see an amazing view of petunias - ampelous. The stem of the flower is strewn with numerous flowers.
This amazing plant can bloom for several months.
- Petunia ampelnaya: popular varieties
- Technology for growing petunias from seeds
- Cuttings as a way of reproduction of petunias
Petunia ampelnaya: popular varieties
There are many types of petunias, but the most common is the ampelous petunia. This plant can be divided into 3 groups.
The first group includes petunias with long and strong shoots. Their length is 60-120 cm.
The second group consists of plants, the stems of which are directed upwards, and then spread. The third group includes petunias with short whips.
They are placed in balcony boxes, large flowerpots or hanging pots. Among the many varieties of ampelous petunias, the most common are:
- Variety "Ekaterina". It is a hybrid. The flowers of the plant have a rare and unusual color: they combine shades of yellow, orange and red. The size of the flowers is 5-6 cm in diameter.
- Sort "Snow Queen". Stems are of medium length. Numerous white flowers. It has a delicate and pleasant aroma.
- Variety "Black Velvet". The color is unusual: the flowers are black with a velvety shade. The densely branched trunk reaches a height of 35 cm.
- Variety "Mashenka". The stems reach a length of about 80 cm. The leaves are small and arranged alternately. The flowers are bright pink in color, have a light yellow vein in the middle.
- Svetlana variety. It has long branched stems. The leaves are also arranged alternately. The wavy, pink-streaked flowers resemble a funnel.
- Variety "Explorer". Unlike other species, it can reach a height of up to 1.5 m. Large plant flowers can have different colors.
- Variety "Neon roses". Large-flowered variety. The flowers are dark lilac. It can rise up to 35 cm in height.
By combining different varieties of petunias, you can create a beautiful floral arrangement.
Technology for growing petunias from seeds
It is necessary to choose high-quality planting material, which is supplied by foreign manufacturers.
In the CIS countries, plant varieties and hybrids are not created. Sowing petunia seeds is desirable in the spring.
It all depends on the type of plant. Small-flowered varieties after sowing will bloom in 2.5 months, and large-flowered ones - after 3 months.
The soil for sowing should be loose and nutritious, as well as well moistened. Before sowing, seeds must be soaked in a solution of potassium permanganate.
Video on how to propagate ampelous petunia:
The seedling container should have holes in the bottom so that excess water does not accumulate in the soil.
To create artificial drainage, lay a layer of expanded clay or pebbles on the bottom of the container. The drainage layer should be about 2 cm thick.
Gently sprinkle the seeds over the surface, and then cover with plastic wrap.
You do not need to cover the seeds with soil. Light activates and stimulates plant growth. For successful seed germination, the room temperature should be around 22-24 degrees.
Once a day, the film must be slightly opened for a few minutes to allow oxygen to flow.
The first shoots will appear in a week. They need to be sprayed daily. After the seeds have germinated, the temperature should be reduced.
As soon as the first leaves have appeared, the seedlings can be placed in pots. Pinching of seedlings must be carried out after the appearance of 4-5 leaves, and then after planting in the ground.
Humidity plays a huge role in growing seedlings. Young plants with dry soil can die, and with excessively wet soil they can be affected by a fungal disease - a black leg. Watering petunia is necessary in moderation and in a timely manner.
Seedlings develop slowly over several weeks. At this time, the petunia is building up the root system. Gradually, growth is activated.
In order for the plant to take root well in the personal plot, it must be cared for. Young seedlings should be fed with special complex fertilizers once a month.
Cuttings as a way of breeding petunias
Petunia can be propagated and grown not only by seeds, but also by cuttings. This procedure is best performed in February-May.
Cut the cuttings located at the top of the petunia at an angle from a healthy plant. There should be several leaves on one shoot. Leave only the top leaves on the cut cuttings.
Planting must be carried out immediately after cutting the shoots. The distance between individual cuttings should be at least 2 cm.
Then pour water over the cuttings, place in a warm room, where the temperature is 21-24 degrees, and cover with foil.
Petunia is a light-loving plant, so it should be grown in light. After 7-10 days, the cuttings take root.
Once the roots of the petunia branch, the plant can be transplanted into a separate container.
Any growing method has its own advantages and disadvantages. Unlike planting seeds, when petunias are propagated by cuttings, flowering will begin in 25-35 days.
With proper cultivation and care, ampelous petunia will bloom profusely and fragrant until the end of summer.